Re: Optimizing tty display update

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: Optimizing tty display update
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 06:44:03 +0200

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> You guys all live behind very fast links, so forgive me if I don't
>> share your optimism.  For me, the situation where I make typing
>> mistakes because Emacs cannot display what I type fast enough is very
>> much real.
>
> I agree.  Often, I have to use Emacs over a slow X connection, where
> redisplay optimizations and setting baud-rate to 1200 lead to noticeable
> improvements in usability, especially during incremental search.

Everyone please rest assured that I'm well ware of this all, otherwise I
wouldn't have gone through all the flying optimization circus for 21.

P.S.

Too bad that the commit history of all that stufff was lost when I
integrated it into the RCS "repo" on gnu.org, which was just a shared
directory.  The commits would have been a nice proof what a major PITA
the optimization were, for years.  That, and making stuff
backward-compatible.  The ChangeLogs told only a fraction of the story
because I edited them and gave them all the date of integration.  Which
looked reasonable at the time :-).