Re: [RFC] Urgrep: New ELPA submission (eventually)

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: [RFC] Urgrep: New ELPA submission (eventually)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 11:00:08 -0700

On 9/12/2022 4:11 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Would it make sense to add this to grep.el, instead of having an
add-on package?

That could work too. I think there's some use in having this available on GNU ELPA though, even if it ships with base Emacs. Since it's new and I expect it'll gain new features, it's probably worth letting people get updates sooner than the next Emacs release.

That said, having this in base Emacs would probably have some really nice benefits too. I haven't followed it super-closely, but I seem to recall some fairly recent changes to xref.el and project.el (maybe others too) to support a wider variety of grep-like tools. Urgrep would (hopefully) make this simpler for any package that wants to do this: the 'urgrep-command' function can convert an abstract search query to the concrete command, e.g.

  (urgrep-command "my query" :case-fold t :color nil)
    => "ag --nocolor --group -i -Q -- my\\ query"

Then any time some Emacs code wants to do something rgreppy, it could call 'urgrep-command' and get the "best" command to use for the system in question.