Re: New library wallpaper.el pushed to master

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New library wallpaper.el pushed to master
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 19:54:22 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 12:28:12 -0400
>
> I have now pushed the new library wallpaper.el and changed thumbs.el and
> image-dired.el to use it.  It has the new command `wallpaper-set', and
> the user option `wallpaper-commands' to control it.
>
> I don't expect it to not work on anything but GNU/Linux for now, but
> patches and suggestions are obviously very welcome.  (I hope that it
> will be easy to add checks for different environments by adding new
> `cl-defgeneric's.)

Thanks.

>From casual reading, the code seems to be heavily biased towards the
assumption that setting a wallpaper requires invoking an external
program.  What about systems where this can be done by calling an API
(i.e., via a special-purpose Emacs primitive)?  Would you please amend
the code to make the feature more easily extended to use such methods?

In addition, are you sure it is a good idea to have a defcustom whose
value is list of lists of strings?  Users who wish to customize this
will have hard time, unless they are very proficient ion Emacs Lisp.
Can we come up with a defcustom that is easier to customize?