Re: "Eager macro-expansion failure: (excessive-variable-binding)"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "Eager macro-expansion failure: (excessive-variable-binding)"
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 20:09:47 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: mattias.engdegard@gmail.com,  Emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 19:03:04 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I cannot say I like the fix.  It's too much ado about a single obscure
> > variable.
>
> Like I said earlier, I wonder whether we should do something in general
> with the `safe-local-variable' things to avoid these issues for all
> variables -- to make it easier to use them without pulling in the files
> they're defined in.  It could make Emacs more efficient in general in
> the long run.

I'm not objected to finding a better solution, if we can find it.  I'm
talking about this particular variable and the mess that you needed to
go through to allow it being in .dir-locals.el without slowing down
the build.  It's unjustified.  I think we should delete it for now,
and revisit this when the infrastructure you are thinking about is
available.