Re: Emacs 28.2 released

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 28.2 released
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 21:56:52 +0300

> From: Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 13:49:58 -0500
>
> What I'm saying is that *every* release announcement email should
> have a clickable link to the release notes for that release, even
> when we're only making a bugfix release.

But we don't have any release notes for bugfix releases.  We don't
track bugs that we fix in such releases, and don't record them
anywhere except in Git logs.  We certainly don't record them in NEWS,
which is why what Stefan did misses your point.

> So my suggestion is that release announcement emails always
> include a direct link to the release notes for that release, for
> the reasons given above.  And specifically, that we stick to this
> policy even for minor or bugfix releases.

For that to be possible, we should first have some record of the bugs
we fixed explained in a language that would be understandable to users
(as opposed to Emacs developers).  Such a record will most probably
mention only some of the bugfixes, since many of them are minor and
others don't tell anything to users.  So let's first discuss whether
we want such a record, and if we do, how this could be possible in
practice.  Until we have such a record, talking about publishing it in
a release announcement is meaningless.