RE: [External] : Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 17:36:14 +0000

> > I hear this a lot, but it seems to me that the "feel" (for lack of a
> > better word) for which-keys is different from everything else in Emacs
> > by default.
>
> I disagree, obviously.  But it would be useful if others here could give
> it a spin to see what they think.  To try it out...
>  (package-install 'which-key)
>  (which-key-mode 1)
> Then type something like `C-x' and wait.
>
> > Window management can be fragile enough to begin with, but
> > having a mode enabled by default that disturbs the current window
> > layout and visible parts of the buffer whenever a user isn't
> > quick enough -- in other words does nothing -- is something I
> > don't think should be the case by default.
>
> I'm not sure if you are referring to any real issues (a.k.a. bugs), or
> if this just a general concern.  If the popup is too jarring, we could
> experiment with a longer delay before it pops up.
>
> FWIW, in my many years of using it, I've never seen any issues with it.
> It always leaves my windows just as they were when it goes away.  Then
> again, I don't use the highly advanced customizations that some other
> people do.

FWIW, here's an alternative:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/KeySee

Works also at top level, on demand (i.e., not
just after a prefix key).

Can show the help anytime, on demand, or
automatically after a prefix-key with delay.

whole hierarchy: all currently possible keys.

Can also navigate the menu-bar tree (menus).

Can sort completion candidates on the fly:
prefix-keys first, local keys first, by
command name alphabetically.

Can complete against keys, command names,
or both.

Can choose (option) which keymaps to enable
top-level completion for.
___

Requires also `sortie.el', for the sorting:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Sortie