Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 08:49:57 +0000

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> There is a fork of mg (MicroEmacs)[0] that binds C-h q to a command that
>> pops up a buffer with these contents:
>>
>> FILE             BUFFER          WINDOW           MARK/KILL       MISC
>> C-x C-c  exit    C-x C-k close   C-0   only other C-space  mark   C-_ undo
>> C-x C-f  find    C-x k   other   C-1   only this  C-w      wipe   C-s search
>> C-x C-s  save    C-x C-b list    C-2   split two  C-k      close  C-r
>> r-search
>> C-x s    all     C-x b   switch  C-x ^ enlarge    C-y      yank   M-% replace
>> C-x i    insert  C-x g   goto ln C-x o other win  C-x C-x  swap   M-q
>> reformat
>> ______________________________________________________________________________
>> C-h q  toggle quick help  |  C-h t  show tutorial  |  C-h b  show key
>> bindings
>>
>> I notice that in GNU Emacs C-h q is bound to `help-quit', which does
>> nothing if you are not in the help command loop.  Would having a
>> "quick-help" menu along these lines for common operations make sense for
>> GNU Emacs as well?
>
> Why not make it part of the menu bar?

I remember when I started using Emacs, I had difficulties orienting
myself around the menu bar, considering how many menus and submenus
there were.  Sure, you can find those items you expect to be in a
familiar place coming from other CUA software (File -> Save, Edit ->
Undo) -- though how commonplace this is nowadays is also a question.

But inherently there is no reason not to do both.  I was just suggestion
C-h q because it is a prominent and easy-to-use key that has to usage
outside of the *Metahelp* buffer.