Re: Progress on merging Eglot?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Progress on merging Eglot?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 21:00:03 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 18.09.2022 23:30, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>>> 2. history does not show for eglot.el or lisp/progmodes, but only as part
>>>    of entire emacs repo
>> I know that João said he didn't want to discuss the topic, but I'll say
>> it anyway.  The necessity to preserve the history seems superfluous to
>> me.  emacs.git has projects like Org or the Modus Themes that are
>> developed out of tree and are regularly synchronised back without any
>> major issues.
>
> Org is still being developed out of tree, though. So any history digs
> are probably going to occur in its own repo.

> IIUC, Joao want to move Eglot entirely into Emacs and be done with
> github at some soon-ish point.

I am not sure about that, in his message he wrote the following:

    5. Arrange for the eglot.el file in Eglot's current upstream --
       https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot -- to mirror
       src/progmodes/eglot.el, ideally (but not necessarily) automatically

       This is so that:

       5.1 Users of bare Git clones can continue mostly unimpeded.

       5.2 GitHub users can still suggest changes as "Pull Requests"
           via GitHub's interface

       5.3 The current GitHub actions CI -- where installation of third-party
           language servers is relatively easy -- can run at least the current
           eglot-tests.el.

Maybe there would be a point in "copying" the history into emacs.git,
but this is a continuous process that would have to be synchronised on
both sides (emacs.git and GitHub) all the time.  That sounds like more
effort than the history is worth.