Re: master 3fd2b00a4b 2/2: ; * Makefile.in: Add "make bootstrap configur

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 3fd2b00a4b 2/2: ; * Makefile.in: Add "make bootstrap configure=default" as a first choice.
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 14:33:10 +0200

> `make bootstrap` should focus on fixing the bootstrap issues that can be
> present in ELisp files.  It's there so as to avoid the need for
> a complete recompile-from-scratch for those of us who don't have
> machines which can recompile the world under 2min.

The difference in time between a "make bootstrap" and a "make
extraclean; make" is about 0.5% in my tests (1m8.1s vs 1m7.7s).  (The
absolute time difference will vary, of course, but the percentage
shouldn't, I'd imagine.)

But, sure, the name doesn't really make much difference -- it'd just be
nice to have instructions for users that are as clear and easy as
possible.  The current answer -- "make extraclean; make" isn't quite
good enough, especially since that can fail if you've already done, say,
a "bootstrap-clean".

But since we've already advising people to say "make bootstrap", it'd be
less of an adjustment for the few developers that need that extra 0.5%
speed to adjust their typing to "make bootstrap-mostly", in my opinion.