Re: master 5b3c4004a9 2/2: Remove calls to intern with a static string f

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: master 5b3c4004a9 2/2: Remove calls to intern with a static string from code that runs on X
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:30:11 +0000

How about "Try to", dropping "you could" entirely?

I'm curious, you seem to dislike the word "you". Why is that? There are 133 occurrences of that word in INSTALL and INSTALL.REPO (together).

That would sound like an injunction instead of a suggestion.

Those two are orthogonal, and the advice should be presented rather forcefully, since it usually does work.

But it's not what everyone who will see that message should do, right? Emacs developers for example might know why the build is broken and do something completely different, like fixing a syntax error in some file and type "make" again. So it shouldn't be, or look like, an injunction, especially given that two options are presented and we're not suggesting to try both.

Anyway, I think we've already spent more than enough time on this little detail. And these messages will possibly be simplified further in the near future while updating bootstrap-clean.