Re: master baf1a7a4a0: Turn gv-synthetic-place into a function

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: master baf1a7a4a0: Turn gv-synthetic-place into a function
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 01:30:03 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> While `gv-` is a handy short prefix, maybe we should stop
> using terms like "place" and "generalized variables" and
> call them "lvalues" like the rest of the world.

Are we talking this? [1]

>From a source on C.

  An lvalue (locator value) represents an object that occupies
  some identifiable location in memory (i.e. has an address).

  rvalues are defined by exclusion. Every expression is either
  an lvalue or an rvalue, so, an rvalue is an expression that
  does not represent an object occupying some identifiable
  location in memory.

So maybe an rvalue is just stored somewhere temporarily in the
process of computing something else ...

[1] https://www.tutorialspoint.com/lvalue-and-rvalue-in-c

--
underground experts united