Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 10:42:04 -0400

Lars Ingebrigtsen [2022-10-03 16:09:35] wrote:
>> AFAICT for the case (A), we *do* want to save trampolines for the next
>> time around,
>
> The trampolines are very fast to make, so creating them once per Emacs
> session doesn't seem like a problem.  If that turns out to be an issue,
> we can tweak the variable.

Yes, it's probably not a big deal indeed.

But this one is more annoying I think:

>> and those users probably do want to use native compilation
>> (e.g. they would likely set `package-native-compile` to non-nil), just
>> not the deferred kind, so the var name is a bit odd for them.

`inhibit-native-compilation` sounds like it really prevents all forms of
native compilation, whether "deferred" or not.

E.g. going by its name, I'd argue that it's a bug if package.el does
native-compile the files when both `package-native-compile` when
`inhibit-native-compilation` are non-nil.

        Stefan