Change of behavior of "space" display property and face property

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Change of behavior of "space" display property and face property
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 04:48:25 +0000

Open an empty text file, M-: (insert #(" " 0 1 (face (:underline t) display
(space :align-to right))))

On Emacs 28, this produce a blank line with underline.

On Emacs 29, this produce a blank line without underline. In general, “space”
display
seem to disregard any face property.

Is this intended or is this a bug? “space” display respecting face property is
useful for
typesetting. For example. I use it to display a horizontal separator under my
header line.

Best,
Qiantan