Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 10:54:12 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Wouldn't it be nice if Emacs had CL packages?  Then everyone could add
>> superior names as a package nickname.  That would make bikeshedding much
>> easier :-).
>
> Does shorthands.el fit the bill?

It's a step in the right direction, but it's not going far enough for
advanced bikeshedders :-).

For example, if we take this, from the elisp info manual:

     (defun snu-lines (s)
       "Split string S into a list of strings on newline characters."
       (snu-split "\\(\r\n\\|[\n\r]\\)" s))

     ;; Local Variables:
     ;; read-symbol-shorthands: (("snu-" . "some-nice-string-utils-"))
     ;; End:

the "snu-" is gone after reading the file.

With packages, the package "some-nice-string-utils" would just define a
function "lines", and that would be accesible as
"some-nice-string-utils:lines".

Or "snu:lines", if a package nickname "snu" is used, either globally or
locally.  Or they rename the package, or change nicknames globally.  Or
they choose to use no package-prefix at all, if they want.

And/or mix in hierarchical packages.

That I call bikeshedding opportunities! :-).

A bit more seriously, shorthandse.l shows that there is a problem,
right?  And there's an existing, old, solution, and IMHO no reason to
invent a new one, which won't materialize anyway.  While for CL packages
we might find Someone(tm) giving it a spin, theoretically of course.