Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 22:38:46 +0300

> Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 19:29:45 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: tomas@tuxteam.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > I think the Debian case is not relevant, because they provide all the
> > *.eln files with the package you install (or so I understand).
>
> I'm not 100% sure what they will do (the version of Emacs distributed by
> Emacs is at the moment still 27.1), but my guess is that this is not what
> they will do.  There are, in fact, two cases:
>
> 1. When a user does "apt install emacs", this actually installs (by
> default) the "emacs-gtk" package, which contains only the "emacs" binary,
> and triggers the installation of two other packages: "emacs-common", which
> contains the precompiled elc files (and the files in etc), and
> "emacs-bin-common", which contains the emacsclient, etags, ctags and
> ebrowse binaries.  I would guess that in this case, when the user chooses
> to install an emacs with native compilation enabled (say
> "emacs-gtk-native"), a third package will be installed, say
> "emacs-common-native", containing the precompiled eln files.
>
> 2. When a user does "apt install elpa-magit" (for example), the package
> only contains el files.  These files are compiled to elc files during
> installation (and stored in a shared directory, namely
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp).  I would guess that, when the installed emacs
> binary is one with native compilation enabled, these el files will be
> compiled to eln files during installation, and stored in a shared
> directory, too.

I agree with the above.  But then why did you say that my description
was inaccurate?  What you described matches what I wrote perfectly:
the end result, after installing Emacs and elpa-magit, is that the
*.eln files are available for all the *.el files and stored in shared
directories.  Whether those *.eln files are produced on the system
where the package is packaged or as part of the installation is not
important; the important part is that all the *.eln files are there
after the installation, and therefore there's no need to disable JIT
compilation.  And yet Rob says that he thinks there _is_ a need for
disabling it.