Re: Comparison of tools to search for related files

From: Felician Nemeth
Subject: Re: Comparison of tools to search for related files
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 18:50:49 +0200

>> I'm also interested in the opinions of others.

As a developer of foo-mode, I'd like to implement a related file
functionality for just one backend (find-file or related-file).  As a
user, I'd like to bind just one (global) key to this functionality and
be ignorant how foo-mode or bar-mode implements it.

To paraphrase what Lars wrote earlier, we had
completion-at-point-functions providing a clear completion API between
backends and frontends.  Does a similar API exist for related files?

If I understand correctly find-sibling-file primarily solves a
different problem: to easily switch among different versions of the same
file when for example multiple branches of a project is checked out in
parallel.

But maybe I misunderstand the purpose of related-files.el.  If it's the
user who configures related-files because the user has a special naming
convention, for example, to have files like page.html, page.css,
page.js, then I don't think a common API is necessary.  Then users can
choose to configure whatever package they like.