Re: master 59df0a7bd9: Add a VC command to prepare patches

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: master 59df0a7bd9: Add a VC command to prepare patches
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 17:29:09 +0000

Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat 08 Oct 2022 at 05:52AM -04, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>
>> +@vindex vc-prepare-patches-separately
>> +Depending on the value of the user option
>> +@code{vc-prepare-patches-separately}, @code{vc-prepare-patch} will
>> +generate one or more messages.  The default value @code{t} means
>> +prepare and display a message for each revision, one after another.  A
>> +value of @code{nil} means to generate a single message with all
>> +patches attached in the body.
>> +
>> +@vindex vc-default-patch-addressee
>> +If you expect to contribute patches on a regular basis, you can set
>> +the user option @code{vc-default-patch-addressee} to the address(es)
>> +you wish to use.  This will be used as the default value when invoking
>> +@code{vc-prepare-patch}.  Project maintainers may consider setting
>> +this as a directory local variable (@pxref{Directory Variables}).
>> +
>
> Please excuse me if I missed discussion in a bug, but wouldn't it make
> sense to set *both* of these in .dir-locals.el for emacs.git?

Yes, but I would wait a bit to avoid the same issues as we had when
`diff-add-log-use-relative-names' was set.  Anyone who had pulled the
new commits with the change but hadn't rebuilt Emacs to know that these
are safe values was prompted the "are you sure these variables are safe"
queries.  If we wait for a week or two then I would guess that most
people following development will have pulled and rebuilt at least once
by then.