Re: scratch/more-fds

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: scratch/more-fds
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 12:31:07 +0200

    Po> What's still missing in scratch/more-fds?  AFAIK, LSP contains some
    Po> features that require a large amount of files to be watched, which in
    Po> turn needs an increase to the file descriptor limit.  As Eglot will be
    Po> included with Emacs 29, we should probably include scratch/more-fds as
    Po> well, at least as an optional feature.

- there are a number of places that assume that the number of maximum
open files is fixed
- the file descriptor limit needs to dynamically adjust

I have code for this locally, which I need to clean up and push.

Note that watching large numbers of files is a big issue only on macOS:
on other platforms file-watching actually watches directories, so itʼs
much harder to run into the limitations (this includes MS-Windows)

Once itʼs finished we can discuss whether it should be turned on by
default: based on past experience, I think it would be default-off in
29.1 (although maybe default-on for macOS if weʼre feeling
adventurous)

Robert