Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 23:14:41 -0400

> Dumb question: can't we just run the spawned compilation processes with
> --no-site-file?

For trampolines, I guess that should work since they shouldn't depend on
local customizations.  Of course, a tempting alternative is to resort to
"binary hacking", i.e. compile *one* template-trampoline and then
generate all every other trampoline by copying that template and
patching the right "stuff" into it.  That would save us from running the
compiler to generate the trampolines (i.e. it would let us behave
correctly on Windows even when GCC/libgccjit is not found at run time),
but it would force us to write architecture-dependent code to patch the
binary template.

        Stefan