Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installe

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installed directly from VCS
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 09:57:41 +0300

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 06:27:04 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Can you elaborate on the "difficult" part?  You could always stash any
> > local changes before pulling, then un-stashing them after.  This
> > should work reliably, I think?
>
> Difficult in the sense that to my knowledge there is no --dwim flag to
> tell Git to try and avert a conflict at any cost.  Instead you would
> have to know what the right operation is depending on the current state
> of the repository and the kinds of conflicts that pulling creates.

If the changes are in the same parts of a file, merge conflicts are
inevitable, and are a necessary part of this kind of operation.  So
why is that perceived as a problem?

I think we should try to avoid conflicts and failures where a
simple-minded merge will do.  But if a conflict is inevitable, we
should punt and let the user fix that.