Re: master 63d084d4e4: Fix encoding and decoding of process I/O in Eshel

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: master 63d084d4e4: Fix encoding and decoding of process I/O in Eshell on Windows
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 18:05:20 +0200

    Eli>   . the let-binding in this case is restricted to creation of the
    Eli>     processes, so here it doesn't have more "global" effect that
    Eli>     :coding
    Eli>   . there are two processes being created, not one; let-binding
    Eli>     affects both of them, whereas :coding would have to be applied to
    Eli>     each one separately
    Eli>   . :coding overrides coding-system-for-read/write, which is somewhat
    Eli>     surprising and perhaps unexpected; while we could have code that
    Eli>     sets :coding only if coding-system-for-read/write are nil, it
    Eli>     would be a trickier code, and perhaps not self-explanatory without
    Eli>     a suitable commentary

    Eli> Now let me turn the table and ask you why is :coding preferred, in
    Eli> your opinion?

Because weʼve had bugs where coding-system-for-read/write was used,
and processes created further down the call chain would use it, and by
the time they did its value had changed, which would have been avoided
by using :coding (I seem to remember an issue with an invocation of
gpg, although I wouldnʼt be surprised if there was some asynchronicity
involved as well)

Robert