Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 09:16:56 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  casouri@gmail.com,
>   acm@muc.de,  theo@thornhill.no
> Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 21:15:00 -0400
>
> > Trust me, I have my own bad experiences with CC Mode fontification.  See
> > the slew of bugs I found and reported with Emacs 29's CC Mode just this
> > week: bug#58537, bug#58534, bug#58539.  My problem is the blanket
> > dismissal of what CC Mode actually gets right that seems to be
> > alarmingly prevalent around here ("... in Emacs 30, let's get rid of CC
> > Mode!")
>
> Some people seem very optimistic about what tree-sitter will bring, yes.
> I think our track record should be enough to reassure users that we
> won't just throw away CC-mode if tree-sitter doesn't prove to be
> a worthy replacement *and* that it won't be thrown away any time soon
> even if tree-sitter is much better.

No one seriously proposed getting rid of what CC Mode does now in the
areas of fontification and indentation.  What's currently on the table
is to provide optional behavior based on tree-sitter, and let users
try that and us collect feedback and decide how to develop Emacs in
these areas in the future.  I hope we will be able to start that in
Emacs 29.

> So, let's all take a deep breath and just wait to see how things play
> out before we make any assumption or decision.

No such assumptions or decisions are expected any time soon, so
everyone can stop holding their breath and start breathing again.