Re: A function to take the regexp-matched subsring directly

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: A function to take the regexp-matched subsring directly
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 15:45:23 +0000

daanturo <daanturo@gmail.com> writes:

> How do you think about such a built-in functionality?
>
> I find myself using them in parsing strings alot, most of the time I
> just care about whether a particular matched (sub-)expression or not:
> Does it match? Yes? Good, throw me result, else give me null.

Is there a reason you find yourself working with strings as opposed to
buffers?  I've seen people try to force functional paradigms on Emacs
when they do stuff like creating a list of lines in a buffer then
iterating over these instead of using the (faster) buffer searching
mechanisms.  My worry is that functions like these, while useful per se,
might make more people inclined to write unideomatic and wasteful code.