Re: Edebug corrupting point in buffers.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Edebug corrupting point in buffers.
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 17:24:26 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 19:12:35 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 17:06:38 +0000
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > > If the problem happens only when edebug-save-displayed-buffer-points
> > > is non-nil, then maybe we should step back a notch and ask why you set
> > > that option?  It is nil by default.

> > It is t by default, and has been since Richard S. created or amended the
> > declaration in 1997.

> It isn't here:

>   (defcustom edebug-save-displayed-buffer-points nil
>     "If non-nil, save and restore point in all displayed buffers.

> What am I missing?

The troublesome behaviour is controlled by edebug-save-windows, not
edebug-save-displayed-buffer-points.  edebug-save-windows is enabled by
default.  Sorry for not reading your post more carefully.

> > Might you have customised it to nil in your own configuration?

> No.

OK.  Then I think we now agree that edebug-save-windows is t by default,
this is the variable toggled by the W key sequence, and it is the
variable which causes the undesired corruption of point when stepping
through test-edebug.el.

I don't know why edebug-save-windows is t by default.

In the meantime, the bug I have reported is real, even if it only
triggers occasionally.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).