Re: Allow indentation styles by use of function in tree-sitter

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Allow indentation styles by use of function in tree-sitter
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 09:00:22 +0100

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

>> On Nov 6, 2022, at 4:52 AM, Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Yuan!
>>
>> I was thinking that a quick way to enable indentation styles and
>> customizable indentation styles is to also accept a function in
>> tree-sitter-simple-indent.
>>
>> What do you think of the suggested patch?
>>
>> That would allow a defcustom such as
>> ```
>> (defcustom c-ts-mode-indent-rule-function #'c-ts-mode--some-specific-style
>>  "Indentation style of choice"
>>  :group 'c)
>> ```
>>
>> and in the major-mode init:
>> ```
>>    (setq-local treesit-simple-indent-rules c-ts-mode-indent-rule-function)
>> ```
>
> Hmmm, does assigning treesit-indent-function fit the bill?

I might be misunderstanding what you mean, but I don't want to change
the architecture, I just want the user to set their own as a
customization option in a major mode. The function will just return the
same stuff as it does now, but with a function as an available option
that will be a little more flexible.  See [0] for an example.  The user
can just set [1] to change the indent style.  A quick workaround could
be that each major mode just does this:
```
(setq-local treesit-simple-indent-rules
            (funcall c-ts-mode-indent-rule-function))
```
But that is a little less nice :-)

[0]:
https://git.sr.ht/~theo/tree-sitter-modes/tree/master/item/c-ts-mode.el#L66-160