Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 07:02:49 +0000

Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de> writes:

>>> But it is us who introduced and support :lisp-dir.  If we think it's a
>>> leaky abstraction, we could decide not to support it.
>>
>> You mean as in only allowing for packages to distribute lisp code in the
>> root directory of the repository?  That would pointlessly break too many
>> packages that decide to structure their file hierarchy for whatever
>> reason.
>
> Could this be done similar as in Borg where you specify the lisp,
> directories build steps etc. in the configuration file.
> In case of Borg that it .gitmodules which would also be used in a
> similar way.

Package-vc has access to the ELPA package specifications that indicate
if a sub-directory is used to store Lisp code.  I have already made the
necessary changes to make use of this information.

> From my pov if you use the package directly from the version control
> system you need to take these specialties into account.
> Source isn't used as is but processed by the packages build-system.
> But the user also needs to take not that all the necessary tools such as
> make or ninja are installed.

Right, this is currently not supported.  Theoretically for security
reasons, but security and packaging in Emacs have rarely been mutual
considerations.  Adding it wouldn't be difficult, but coming up with a
sensible fallback strategy might be.