Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 13:33:37 -0500

> I have made :lisp-dir a general property of a package description.  This
> might be set in package-vc when generating the <PKG>-pkg.el, but in
> principle any (non-vc) package could make use of this to indicate a
> subdirectory where lisp files are stored.  For now this is something
> that will probably only interest package-vc.

Hmm... but if a package does that in an ELPA archive (i.e. the
`:lisp-dir` thingy appears in the `archive-contents`), then this package
will not be installed correctly when installed with an older
Emacs, right?

IOW, it's an extension of the ELPA protocol.

I do think it's getting time to update the protocol based on the
experience gained over the last 10 years, but I'm really not convinced
`:lisp-dir` is a good addition.

E.g. a thing I'd find more interesting would be to let the tarball provide
its own <PKG>-autoloads.el (which is in charge of adding whichever
lisp-dirs it wants).

        Stefan