Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Björn Bidar
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 19:56:59 +0200

> Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de> writes:
>
>> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:

>>> Forgive me for guessing, but could your native language be German?  I'm
>>> just inferring from the name.  If so, what did you want to say?
>>> Vielleicht verstehe ich so besser was du meinst?
>>
>> Ja meine Muttersprache ist Deutsch, vielleicht geht es besser so.
>> Ich habe es so verstanden das man Melpa nicht nennen sollte weil Melpa
>> nicht kooperiert mit Gnu, was meiner Meinung nach nicht war ist
>> bzw. mir neu wäre.
>>
>> Beide Quellen enhalten die nicht freie Software verwenden (Melpa:
>> Lastpass, Elpa Excange support).
>
> Ich verstehe deinen Satzbau hier nicht, anstatt einem Objekt nach
> "enthalten," fängt ein Untersatz an ", die nicht...".  Willst du sagen,
> dass beide Archive nur Freie Software enthalten?

Ja genau, beide Quellen enthalten nur freie Software. Beide Quellen
haben aber Software die mit nicht freier Software interagiert.

I translate this my self: Yes both sources contain only free software,
but both contain software that interacts with non-free software.

Anyway you don't have to write in German just for me, it's fine.

> [...]
>
>      Both sources contain which don't use Free Software (MELPA:
>      Lastpass, ELPA Exchange support) [this is a literal translation, I
>      can't make sense of the sentence in German either].
>
>      Thereby the only difference I can notice is GitHub, or rather a
>      Forge-based development vs. a mailing list model.
>
> Abgesehen von den technischen unterschieden, gibt es verschiedene
> Guidelines zwischen den Projekten, welche Pakete angenommen werden.
> Dahingegen sind die Fragen der Umsetzung (Mailing List vs PR-basierte
> Webseite) recht nebensächlich.
>
> Setting aside technical differences, there are different Guidelines what
> packages are accepted.  Compared to that the question of how the
> projects are organised (Mailing List vs PR-based Website) is not that
> important.
>
> GNU ELPA: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/README#n330
> MELPA:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/melpa/melpa/master/CONTRIBUTING.org

>>> I have floated the idea of creating an Emacs package for submitting ELPA
>>> packages, that would help automatise the repetitive questions, such as
>>> have you signed the FSF CA if you want to add a package to GNU ELPA, are
>>> all the dependencies available, has basic code style been respected that
>>> checkdoc and byte compilation can detect, etc.
>>
>> That sounds like a good idea, some kind of CI that checks the packages
>> would be nice, the Ci can run on the creation of a request or on
>> whitelist.
>
> That can be difficult on a free-form mailing list like this one, unless
> there is some formal indication (which is something a package like this
> could provide).
>
>> I think for a lot of people the way that the FSF acts or just the name
>> leaves a bad taste in their mouth. Personally I think it quite sad that
>> there isn't more corporation, I wish the FSF and FSFE would push for
>> more free software in government and elsewhere around the world.
>> In a lot environments uncertainty around free software especially after
>> GPLv3 was released created by issues.
>> A lot of places I've worked at had almost an allergy against things such
>> as GPLv3.
>
> I wish the entire GNU Project would be more integrated towards the
> creation of a GNU Operating system, but that really is an off-topic
> issue for this list.
>
>>> Another idea I have heard been suggested is creating a separate issue
>>> tracker for ELPA submissions and issues.  I am not sure if this would
>>> help that much, but I guess some people avoid the mailing list because
>>> they don't want to initiate a long discussion.
>>
>> If debbugs would be list a little modern such things would be easier,
>> just create a bug at the Gnu bugtracker under the ELPA product.
>
> What do you have in mind specifically when you say "modern"?
>
> The Guix people have been using a separate different front end that
> /looks/ more modern, that still is debbugs AFAIK:

Yes something like your example, a ui that allows contribution without
email and looks more modern. Both debbugs and the mailman2 that used by
Gnu also doesn't scale/look good on high dpi screens.
Mailman2 is EOL in any case.

>>> No, that is the great thing about Git.  I can clone and hack on a
>>> package that is hosted on GitHub, without ever having to accept the
>>> execution on Non Free Javascript on my device.  Sure, the GNU project
>>> would advise against using GitHub for several reasons, but as long as
>>> you don't force others to use Non-Free Software, it is not a
>>> deal-breaker.
>>>
>>> Just take a look at the current list of packages included in ELPA:
>>>
>>>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/elpa-packages
>>>
>>> There are plenty of packages that are developed on GitHub or GitLab.
>>> Almost none are currently maintained on Savannah.  Luckily more and more
>>> are also appearing on freedom respecting sites like Sourcehut.
>>>
>>> (I really don't know where this kind of misinformation stems from.  I
>>> have heard it too, and was scared at first.  But it turns out that
>>> people who haven't quite understand the arguments keep arguing against
>>> strawmen in their own minds.)
>>
>> Yeah I understand that, I use Git in a similar way,  I have my own
>> mirrors but use Gitlab/Github for the network effect in the communities
>> I need it.
>>
>> But the misinformation came at least from my side out of the issue
>> that I wasn't aware that Melpa contains packages that engages with
>> non-free software at least not to the extend that Emacs already does.
>> Like there are Windows build for macos and Windows, Melpa contains
>> packages for that interact with such operating systems in the same way.
>
> Richard went into that issue in a parallel thread just yesterday:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-11/msg00792.html:
>
>   Our general policy makes a subtle distinction between these two cases:
>
>   1. If a nonfree program FOO is not well known, we don't even mention that
>   it exists.  Because we don't want to promote using FOO.
>
>   2. If a nonfree program FOO is well known and widely used, something to
>   help and encourage FOO's users to use some GNU packages along with FOO
>   is good.
>
>   3. Anything that would encourage the existing users of some GNU packages
>   to use FOO with them is bad.

OK I don't see anything against cooperating with Gnu in Melpa, the only
difference is the barrier of entry for packages that interact with
non-free systems, especially the amount of questioning that a package
has go too but that is subjective I think.

Ok

Br,

Björn