Re: Mode names for C-like tree-sitter modes

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Mode names for C-like tree-sitter modes
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 01:09:58 -0800

> On Nov 13, 2022, at 10:34 PM, Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> wrote:
>

> On 14 November 2022 02:16:13 CET, Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks to Theo’s great work, we now have tree-sitter powered major modes for
>> C, C++, Java, JSON, CSS. Right now they are named c-ts-mode, c++-ts-mode,
>> java-ts-mode, etc. And c-ts-mode and c++-ts-mode inherits from a dummy mode
>> c-ts-mode--base-mode.
>>
>> I think it’s fair to make C, C++ and Java modes independent, since all the
>> cc-mode options are invalidated when we use tree-sitter. However, their name
>> could be improved, IMO. But I can’t think of anything better than c-ts-mode
>> :-)
>>
>> (neo-c-mode… just saying)
>>

> I agree and can't think of a better name either...

c-nouveau-mode ;-)

>> c-ts-mode--base-mode should probably be a public mode, since the intention
>> (IIUC) is enable users to configure C and C++ together, by adding hooks to
>> this base-mode. So something like c-base-mode or c-ts-base-mode?
>>

> Sure!
>
>> CSS and JSON could be merged with current modes, I think. Css-ts-mode could
>> merge with css-mode, and json-ts-mode could be merged with js-json-mode. Or
>> we can just have a dedicated json-mode.
>>
>> Theo, WDYT?
>>

> That's fine with me. In any case I think we should remove tree-sitter support
> from js-json-mode (or merge them). I think there exist a json-mode  in both
> elpa and melpa, adding another isn't the best idea I think.
>
> Not sure what is best, really.

Js-json-mode inherits from js-mode, which complicates the matter if tree-sitter
is enabled for js-mode… Probably should remove tree-sitter from js-json-mode.
Also if we decided cc-mode and tree-sitter should be mutually exclusive (which
we kind of have), we should remove some cc-mode init in js-mode that runs even
when tree-sitter is enabled.

The json-mode you mentioned is on ELPA, and is fairly small, we might be able
to merge json-ts-mode with it. Simen, WDYT?

> My vote goes to merging css and keeping others separate, but I don't have the
> strongest opinion there.
>
> I can prepare such a patch after we decide on something.

I can also do it, that’ll save us some patching and merging ;-)

Yuan