Re: scratch/comp-static-data 5aa3db2f11: comp: Add support for compiling

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: scratch/comp-static-data 5aa3db2f11: comp: Add support for compiling elisp constants into static data.
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 00:07:00 -0500

  > Perhaps "constant" is a misnomer here. If you are refering to defconst-
  > defined variables, that is not what the patch is about. I'm refering to
  > self-evaluating forms/objects referenced by elisp code, i.e. the ones
  > that the constant vector in a bytecode object contains. The elisp
  > reference manual states that mutating self-evaluating forms results in
  > undefined behaviour, so marking them as const should be safe IMO.

Your change "ought to be" harmless in principle, but in practice it
may be harmful.  There may be cases that are currently "incorrect" in
principle but in practice do no harm.  Your change might cause them to
get faults for trying to write read-only memory.  Why take that risk?

I'd rather avoid risk by not making this change.