Re: Adding use-package to core

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding use-package to core
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:04:37 +0200

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: spwhitton@spwhitton.name,  luangruo@yahoo.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>   xenodasein@tutanota.de
> Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 07:33:30 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> What would the criteria for inclusion be like?
> >
> > Packages that we'd like to have in Emacs, but for some reason are on
> > ELPA instead.  This would allow packages like Magit, Org, project.el,
> > and maybe others to stay only on ELPA.
>
> 1. project.el and Org is already included, even developed in Emacs?

The intent was to leave them only on ELPA when the way of including
ELPA packages in a release is figured out.  (And Org is definitely NOT
developed in Emacs.)

> 2. Are we talking about GNU ELPA or both NonGNU ELPA and GNU ELPA.

GNU ELPA only.

> Perhaps we can take a look at the results of the Emacs Survey, when that
> comes out later this month and collect a list of popular contenders?

We could do that, but until we have a reliable way of including ELPA
packages in a release (which should include the solution for how to
upgrade such packages after the released Emacs is installed on the
user's machine), doing these secondary jobs is IMO just a waste of
time and energy.  For example, if the solutions are far away in the
future, the list of contenders you collect now will be outdated by
then, and will need to be redone anew.

The issues we are touching here were all discussed in the past, and
the difficulties that need to be resolved were described and also
discussed.  It's nothing new, and I don't think anything's changed
since those discussions, we are still where we were back then wrt our
ability to include ELPA packages.