Re: Obsoleting of generalized variable setters in 48aacbf292fbe8d4be7761

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: Obsoleting of generalized variable setters in 48aacbf292fbe8d4be7761f83bf87de93497df27
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:11:56 -0600

Hi Stefan,

On 11/21/22 15:33, Stefan Monnier wrote:
At the least, it would seem like a good idea to have an open discussion
before removing 38 such setters from Elisp.

They were not removed: they were obsoleted.
When we mark a feature obsolete, it *is* a (last) call for discussion
before we remove it.

Ah, I misunderstood: I thought marking something as obsolete meant that the decision has been made, and users should begin removing it from their code.

So go ahead, and argue away to defend those generalized vars you think
we should keep.  Make those arguments concrete, tho: those 38 generalized
vars are pretty much all independent from each other, so each one should
be debated on its own merits.

I agree that each should be debated on its own merits. But has the burden been reversed? Could we argue why they should be removed rather than why they should be kept? I would generally argue that features that have been implemented should be considered useful (otherwise, why would they have been added?) and not be removed except for specific reasons.

And I don't know who has the time to research and argue to undo 38 individual things that I wish hadn't been done all-at-once in the first place. :)

Thanks,
Adam