Re: Standardizing tree-sitter fontification features

From: Randy Taylor
Subject: Re: Standardizing tree-sitter fontification features
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 19:14:59 +0000

On Friday, November 25th, 2022 at 03:13, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 01:13:46 +0000
>
> > From: Randy Taylor dev@rjt.dev
> > Cc: emacs-devel emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > On Thursday, November 24th, 2022 at 17:16, Yuan Fu casouri@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if assignment and definition are really worth having (and would
> > prefer to do without them), since they should be covered by the variable,
> > function, type and property features.
>

> AFAIU, this is about the difference between defining a function and calling
> it. The distinction could be useful, at least in some cases. We could make
> this off by default, of course, but I don't think we should ignore the
> distinction.

Yes, in my mind the variable, function, etc. features would cover everything
but it's clear people want more control over that aspect. We could give them
different faces, but that would require making more faces which probably isn't
desired. The only unfortunate thing, as I asked Yuan, is we may end up with
duplication (depending on how we do it). Assignment and declaration will have a
fair bit of overlap with the variable and function features.