Re: Questions regarding PGTK, high-dpi font-rendering, new X11-Warning

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Questions regarding PGTK, high-dpi font-rendering, new X11-Warning
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 07:50:28 -0500

Po Lu [2022-11-30 18:13:14] wrote:
> xenodasein@tutanota.de writes:
>> To give less headaches to the users, why else.  Have one binary,
>> do it dynamically.
> Then will you volunteer to write the code that makes it safe?  And keep
> it working for the next 5 or so years, at least?  Regardless of what the
> GTK developers decide to do in the meantime?

FWIW, I really wish we moved in this direction.  Make it possible to
build a single Emacs executable which can use GNUstep frames, PGTK
frames, tty frames, X11 frames, some with Athena toolkit widgets others
with no-toolkit widgets, etc... ideally all at the same time.

For my own use the most important part is the support of both "toolkit"
and "no-toolkit" scrollbars, since I find the no-toolkit scrollbars more
useful than the toolkit ones.

        Stefan