Re: best practices for implementing Emms configuration

From: Björn Bidar
Subject: Re: best practices for implementing Emms configuration
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 02:10:01 +0200

Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> We are trying to make Emms (https://www.gnu.org/software/emms/) better
> out of the box.
>
> The idea is to have the user invoke "M-x emms-setup", have Emms ask some
> questions (check which player binaries the user has installed, which
> metadata programs are installed, where the music is located, etc.), and
> have Emms generate and write the appropriate elisp configuration.
> I can think of two approaches. I am wondering which, if any, would be
> considered best practice:

I was in that situation a month ago, I want to add what would make this
easier.

Emms is quite flexible which makes the initial setup a little more
complicated.

For example if I want to setup as an mpd client I would want some
defaults that make sense and that can be changed if needed.

I think would make more sense to have defaults for common use cases such
as these then writing a configuration, simplifying the configuration
rather than making it easier to configure.

For example Circe provides defaults for common IRC server's than can be
adjusted individually.

Emms could provide similar defaults.

Br,

Björn