Re: Package "luwak"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Package "luwak"
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 18:58:48 -0500

  > > I think you are not being serious.  If you are, can you explain why
  > > you consider "luwak" better than "lynx"?

  > Honestly, neither of the two is that useful for a modern user
  > (ie. someone who hasn't investigated text-mode web browsers).

I think you are bluring the question of a name for the package with
the entirely separate question of whether that package is useful.

Since the package is a text-based browser, you may be right that it
isn't useful for people who are not interested in text-based browsers.
Does it follow that it is of no use, that we should not install it?

That could be so -- I don't have a conclusion -- but name calling
(like "a modern user") doesn't prove it.

  > If this is to be resolved in the long term, I think a naming guideline
  > or recommendations (for ELPA) should be written down.

To establish a guideline is a good idea.  The way to come up with a
good guideline is based on some examples.  Thus, I think it is useful
to discuss this example and handle it in a good way.  That will get us
started on more general guidelines.