Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 15:24:59 +0000

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 3:06 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com>
> > Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:47:18 -0600
> >
> > There are (I believe) four pieces to get Tree Sitter major modes to work.
> >
> > Emacs needs to be compiled with tree-sitter enabled
> > The tree sitter binary needs to be installed
> > The tree sitter language specific parser needs to be installed
> > The appropriate major mode needs to be loaded and enabled
>
> That's correct.

I agree this is a problem, especially the language specific parser
bits.  Yesterday I tried out tree sitter Emacs on my Arch system.
Finding the tree-sitter system lib was easy enough, but finding the C++
definition object wasn't so easy.  Eventually I made it,  but it needed
compilation from source and a NodeJS toolchain that I didn't know
I needed for that.

> > If not, and others agree, how can I help create one?  I am thinking the entire page should be small and brief with references to more elaborate details on each of the four steps if needed.
>
> My main problem is where to put this stuff.

Another problem is how to keep this information up-to-date.