Re: Possibly defaulting native-compile-target-directory to XDG_CACHE_HOM

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Possibly defaulting native-compile-target-directory to XDG_CACHE_HOME/...
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 14:37:18 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I don't see how this follows from what I said.  There should be a
> writable directory, but it doesn't have to be under HOME.  You can
> change the value of native-comp-eln-load-path to have there any
> directories you like.  We've been through this during the previous
> discussion, I believe.

I may not have understood where all of that ended up.

Given that there's no way to establish the location via an envt var.
Are you saying that anyone who needs to run emacs with an unwritable
home would need to add one or more command line arguments to every
invocation (i.e. we'd need to do that across all of the relevant debian
testing scripts, etc., some of which may be embedded in upstream
frameworks -- I guess we might also just shadow emacs in the path with a
wrapper script...)?

...and if any of the relevant command line settings don't happen early
enough, then that'd be considered a bug that we'd want to report and see
about fixing?

Oh, and I can finally reproduce that buttercup crash with an upstream
tree.  This should do it:

  # Build and install emacs-28.2 as root or "user1"

  # As "user2" (not root or user1)
  git clone https://github.com/jorgenschaefer/emacs-buttercup.git
  cd emacs-buttercup
  export HOME=/nope
  rm -f *.elc
  emacs -Q -batch -L . -f batch-byte-compile buttercup.el buttercup-compat.el
  emacs -Q -batch -L . -l buttercup -f buttercup-run-discover

The key appears to be that the install must be as some other user.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org