How to highlight the offending line of code with edebug

From: Davin Pearson
Subject: How to highlight the offending line of code with edebug
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 10:09:09 +1300

When I write the following code:

(progn
  (setq edebug-on-error t)
  (setq edebug-all-defs t))

(foo)
(defun foo ()
  tomcat
  )

How do I invoke the edebug debugger when you get an error:

Symbol’s value as variable is void: tomcat

I want the debugger to point to the offending line of code,
in this case tomcat.

The way that I currently find errors such as these is to put
checkpoints on every second line except the last line of defuns.
However this approach is rather cumbersome as I have to add a lot
of checkpoints and then remove them when I find the bug.