Re: Moving etc/NEWS around causing release branch merge to fail again

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Moving etc/NEWS around causing release branch merge to fail again
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2023 08:30:29 +0200

> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 14:42:35 -0800
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Do I need to do anything special when editing the NEWS file on emacs-29?
> Doesn’t seem like it but just want make sure.

No, editing NEWS on the emacs-29 branch doesn't need anything special.
The problems happen on master, not on the branch.  On master, we
should never edit the NEWS.NN files from past versions, and especially
not the one from the current release branch, on which we routinely
make changes to the corresponding NEWS.