Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2023 19:14:31 +0000

* To assume that they are already installed. Normally they would be part of some other package in your system distro. This is what we do with many standard tools and libraries.

[...]

* To include their source code in Emacs the Emacs release, and build them along with the rest of Emacs.

* To tell the user, "Installing these external programs is your responsibility." That is the least helpful method, but it's acceptable.

We currently assume either the 1st or the 3rd alternative.

ATM these libraries are not packaged by distros, and are bundled by other editors that use them. So in effect, the first option means that we outload the responsibility of packaging these libraries not to GNU/Linux distros in general, but to those who are responsible for packaging Emacs in GNU/Linux distros.