Re: [ELPA] New package xeft.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package xeft.el
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 14:24:58 -0500

Yuan Fu [2023-01-02 20:11:50] wrote:
> I wrote xeft.el awhile ago, it allows you to search text notes really fast
> by using a dynamic module. My initial plan is to somehow plug the dynamic
> module into Deft some day and I’ll keep xeft to myself. Turns out it’s not
> very feasible to make Deft use the dynamic module, so now I thought I might
> as well publish xeft. After all I think it is really cool and I want more
> people to use it :-)
>
> You can find xeft here: https://git.sr.ht/~casouri/xeft

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the way this is set up:
it's unusable without downloading further code first.

Why not do it like the `pq` package, which includes the C source code in
the GNU ELPA package?  IOW merge your `xapian-lite` repository into the
`xeft` repository.  Or make a GNU ELPA package for `xapian-lite` if you
think the two should not be so closely tied to one another?

Other details I saw along the way:
- You claim you have precompiled packages for GNU/Linux but that's only
  true for amd64, which is only a particular subset of GNU/Linux
  (most of my GNU/Linux machines (i386, armhf, arm64) are outside of
  that subset, for example).

- Your source code includes `emacs-module.h` which should not be
  necessary because that file is distributed with Emacs (the way `pq`
  finds it is not ideal, but this might be a good opportunity to look
  at improving the situation and providing a standardized way for
  ELisp packages to find that file).

- `xapian-lite.cc` lacks a license blurb.

        Stefan