Re: Terminal emulator in Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Terminal emulator in Windows
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 14:48:53 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 18:14:54 +0800
>
> Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:
>
> > In general, is it possible to implement Windows terminal emulation?
>
> Since MS Windows has never been used connected to text terminals, what
> would be the point?

I don't think this is accurate.  Windows XP implements the telnet
protocol, so you can connect to it from a remote system.

> AFAIU it is possible to run command.com in a shell buffer, but when you
> do that you cannot restart the system without it being wedged.  I think
> that is the more important thing to fix, but I don't know where to
> start.

I'm not sure I see the relevance.  cmd.exe can indeed be run via
"M-x shell", but that's not a terminal emulator, since terminal
commands (like cursor movement and colors) are not supported.
"M-x shell" is just a simple text-mode interface to the shell
and any console commands you run.