Re: Terminal emulator in Windows

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: Terminal emulator in Windows
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 09:31:59 -0800

On 1/11/2023 1:35 AM, Akib Azmain Turja wrote:
In general, is it possible to implement Windows terminal emulation?

Do you mean "emulating cmd.exe" or "emulating a terminal and running that emulator on MS Windows"? The former might be trickier, and I haven't really looked into how you'd do that. However, the latter might just mean handling VT100 terminal sequences, which I don't think would require knowing about any Windows-specific features/APIs.

I believe newer versions of MS Windows can support VT100 sequences, so some applications compiled for Windows will likely use them. It would also be useful for a Windows user who connects to a remote *nix system (e.g. via Tramp); a program like `less` on the remote system would likely emit VT100 sequences, so it'd be nice to handle those, even if it's being displayed in an Emacs session running on MS Windows.