Re: Consideration for Rust contributions in Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Consideration for Rust contributions in Emacs
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 08:45:43 +0800

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

> GCCrs might help with that: https://rust-gcc.github.io/
>
> Once that’s released and stable in GCC, Rust is finally safe to use for
> those who want at least two independent implementations (like me).

The language standard library must also be ported to both the Unix and
DJGPP platforms.  On MS-DOS, it must also be made unexec ready, because
only the unexec build is supported there.

> Also the gains from memory safety are much lower than for much other
> software, because in Emacs memory-safety is already provided by elisp.

Has anyone even demonstrated that memory safety is a problem for Emacs?
The only program where it matters, that runs on most computers, is a web
browser.  And even there it only papers over the more fundamental
problem, which is that web browsers provide an easy means to run
proprietary JavaScript code without the user even knowing it exists.