Re: [elpa] externals/brief 362d629671: Brief mode v5.88.22 release for v

From: 路客
Subject: Re: [elpa] externals/brief 362d629671: Brief mode v5.88.22 release for various enhancements and bug fixes
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 00:53:17 +0800

Thanks for spotting this.  Yes you are right.  My local branch
was very different from the one on ELPA and it did not use
nadvice package.  Recently I merged ELPA version back and the
code segment you highlighted was quite old and I don't even
remember what it's for, probably a transition code during the
period of transition from `xxx' to `cl-xxx' ...

I've fixed it along with an issue found on the Windows version
-- I just found that the Windows version is a convenient tool to
help me test old Emacs versions like Emacs 24.2.
Thanks.

On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 at 11:01, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
[ Resending with a better email address.  ]

>  (eval-when-compile
> -  (require 'cl-lib)
> +  (if (version< emacs-version "27.0")
> +      (progn
> +        (require 'cl) ;; Package cl is deprecated for Emacs27+
> +        (require 'cl-macs))
> +    (require 'cl-lib))

This looks like a regression resulting from a misunderstanding.
What are you trying to do here?

The rest of the code uses only `cl-lib` functionality, so (require 'cl)
will be useful only if it internally does (require 'cl-lib).
In Emacs<24.3, this will fail because (require 'cl) will not define the
macros that the rest of the code needs (e.g. `cl-eval-when`, `cl-loop`, ...).

        Stefan

--
Best regards,
Luke Lee