Re: Why is lexical-binding's global value ignored?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Why is lexical-binding's global value ignored?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 23:19:25 -0500

  > Some programs cannot work with lexical binding turned on.

  > Such is the RCD Template Interpolation System for Emacs:

https://hyperscope.link/3/7/1/3/3/RCD-Template-Interpolation-System-for-Emacs.html

Sooner or later we should call on the user community to fix programs
to work with lexical binding if possible, and to explicitly specify
which type of binding.

After a year or two of that, I suggest making the next Emacs release
so that it warns when it loads a file that doesn't explcitly specify
lexical or dynamic.

A year or two after that. all packages people use will explicitly
specify lexical or not.  At that point, we could safely change the
default, if we want to.