Difficulty using M-x gdb

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Difficulty using M-x gdb
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 09:53:05 -0500

I have used "M-x gud-gdb" to run gdb for many years.  I used it for
quite a while after the gdb-mi interface was added due to its ability to
debug the same program multiple times at the same time in the same
Emacs.  I don't need that capability right now.

Due to a bug in `gud-gdb` (#61162) I am trying to switch to "M-x gdb"
instead.  Unfortunately, I can't really figure out how to make this work
in a way that makes sense to me.  `gdb-many-windows` being nil is the
default, and the default should be reasonably easy to use (one would
hope), but I am having the following problem:

When I step through a program, the interface keeps track of where I am
in the source buffer.  But, when the program produces output, it
replaces the source buffer window with an input/output buffer window
which is dedicated.  The only way I have found out to display the source
buffer again is to use "M-x gdb-restore-windows".  In code that is doing
a fair amount of output, this is very tedious.

What is right way to handle this?  If it requires customization, why is
customization needed to make this fairly common case work well?  Is
there a way to make output go the interaction buffer?  Maybe most
importantly, this input/output buffer/window doesn't seem to be
mentioned in the Emacs documentation at all.

I have my suspicions that, once I get used to the new interface, I might
like using it, but right now I'm having difficulty figuring out what
habits I need to relearn.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(md5i@md5i.com)