Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2023 19:21:28 +0200

> From: Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  akrl@sdf.org,  larsi@gnus.org,
>   monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  rlb@defaultvalue.org,
>   debian-emacsen@lists.debian.org
> Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2023 09:28:39 -0700
>
> I am not able to answer myself, right now, whether what has been
> proposed in this thread about redirecting trampoline writes would be
> sufficient for us.  Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Let's hope.  The changes I'm talking about were largely motivated by
Debian's reports, so I'd very much prefer not to overturn some of
those changes without understanding well enough what it does to Debian
and in particular making sure that Debian can still do what they need
even if some of those changes are reverted.

> One thing that I can say for sure is that we need Emacs not to crash
> when HOME is non-existent or otherwise not writeable.
> I am not completely sure whether that is the whole of the issue, but it
> may well be.

I don't think it crashes in that case.  It definitely shouldn't.  So
if you have a recipe where it does, please report it with the details.

However, that isn't directly related to the issue at hand, since I
don't expect anyone to point HOME to an invalid place as a means for
disabling native-compilation: we have much more direct means for that.

> >> (Just fyi, I am now co-maintaining Emacs in Debian alongside Rob.)
> >
> > Congrats.
>
> Dubious :P  I just wanted to ask, please CC both me and Rob in the
> future, else I might have missed this thread.

Will do.