Re: Regarding on-key-up event

From: Ag Ibragimov
Subject: Re: Regarding on-key-up event
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2023 18:48:42 -0600

Po Lu <Luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> This nice behavior may be guaranteed by a keyboard itself, but not by input
> methods, where it is actually impossible to match up an input method's
> committed key events with a corresponding key release event.
>
> Of course, since the input method is not operating synchronously wrt the X
> connection, there is not even the guarantee that the key release arrives
> after the key press, since the latter are not filtered through it.  And for
> good reason; imagine that the input method commits a string, abcdef, and
> Emacs generates one key event for each character.
>
> Which key release events should Emacs then deliver?

Aha! Thank you. All right, this completely makes sense. What about when Emacs
doesn't connect to X Server? Cocoa, pgkt, etc. Or is it vital to keep the model
for backward compatibility and consistency?

I can't be the first person asking this question: "why can't I bind a command
to a key-release event?", right?